Backcountry Pilot • 200 k in pocket what wud u buy?.

200 k in pocket what wud u buy?.

Technical and practical discussion about specific aircraft types such as Cessna 180, Maule M7, et al. Please read and search carefully before posting, as many popular topics have already been discussed.
72 postsPage 1 of 41, 2, 3, 4

So why wouldn't I buy a new maule 235 or 265? Looking for guidance here! Would I be making a huge mistake? Any advice wud be greatly appreciated...
Wife and I, typical mission cross countries, live Canadian mtns. Currently -40c yuk :shock:
Or what wud u buy?

Bam
Bam Bam offline

Re: 200 k in pocket what wud u buy?.

Send me the 200k and I'll let you know!!
flybymike offline

hookers and blow
OregonMaule offline
Supporter
My SPOT page

Don't just be mad about people in our country illegally. DO SOMETHING POSITIVE !
http://www.numbersusa.com/content/

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety". Ben Franklin
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

OregonMaule wrote:hookers and blow

/thread
mountainmatt offline
Janitorial staff + supporter
FlyingPoochProductions

More letters for my keyboard.
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Aircraft: Bearhawk

Top cub
Juan80 offline
Chuck

Firewud
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Aircraft: Bearhawk

Never mind didn't expect these comments
Bam Bam offline

...give the guy a break! :D

I would buy a nice C-180. For me it's kind of like driving a Toyota Tacoma: it will go anywhere a Jeep goes, and yet travels like a Somewhat comfortable car and works like a small pickup. Then I would use the left over money (if there is any!) to put toward my flying adventures!

Clippwagon

P.s. don't mind these Oregonian's comments. We're socked in right now after months of beautifull flying weather and it makes the natives a little restless!

...and Zane has a kegerator! :lol:

Clippwagon
clippwagon offline

SEL or MEL rating? if your main goal is xc I'd say..
P210 with a good heater.
Or
Turbo 337 with a good heater.
L-19 offline
Blessed are the curious, for they shall have great adventures!

Bam Bam wrote:Never mind didn't expect these comments

Thirty seven minutes in Bam Bam taps out. I believe its a new worlds record for the shortest post kill.
I will try to resuscitate.

With 200K in your pocket I recommend you buy one top of the line used aircraft of your choosing at today's depressed prices. A 100K buys a lot and with the other 100K, a butt load of 100ll and Gump's cabin. Should be cheap, he doesn't use it anyway. When it is all ready, call and we will all come and spend some time helping burn the gas and fixing up. Make the donation to save this backcountry hideaway treasure and take the deduction before he loses it to the next divorce.
Last edited by dirtstrip on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtstrip offline
Lynn Sanderson (Dirtstrip) passed away from natural causes in May 2013. He was a great contributor and will be missed dearly.

I'd look for a nice already built Murphy Moose with all the bells & whistles with that budget. There are a couple of nice ones in Canada, if I recall, listed on Barnstormers.
ZPilot offline
Aircraft: Scout 8GCBC

For $200K in the current market I'd acquire a 180 and a Cub. You should be able to find good, solid, well maintained airplanes within that budget and those planes provide the best capability I can imagine with the best asset value retention you can hope for. Or if you're so inclined you could buy a good 180 and build a Cub clone to your own specifications. If you're a one airplane kind of guy I'd look for a 180, 185, or 206. For XC travel with long legs and civilized destinations I'd want a Bonanza. I would be less concerned with spending the budget and more concerned with spending it on a plane that will hold it's value. That said, factory new would be the last thing I'd want.
stewartb offline

Just a bit of kidding and he is gone. Must have never been in the Military. He would have gotten off my submarine at the first port.

Tim

Oh, just noticed that he is from Canada. That explains it.

Tim

One more thing. He better never land at Austin, NV

Tim
qmdv offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 76ZBaO92LN

As much as I like new anything, quality is always at the top of the list. I would rather put my money into a GOOD used plane that was set up like I wanted, rather than spend a lot of extra money for something that is new and may not be equipped as well and will de-value big time, right out of the gate (the investment standpoint). I guess the next question is if you plan on doing a lot of traveling, using a lot of paved runways, is a tailwheel plane really what you want-need, (not that groundloops ever occur on pavement)? Two planes are a consideration, I have had as many as three at one time, but that has it's issues too. As has been debated on here for years, maybe it really depends on what your mission for 90% of the time really is. If money is of no consideration, I would get a comfortable widebodied nosewheel traveling plane and a nice Cub of some sort for piddling.

Steve
steve offline
Aircraft: 1980 Cessna 185F

That's F ed up!!! [-X [-X [-X

I wouldn't have jacked around like that to the guy :^o :^o

Right now my dream fleet would be a 206 and an older Scout. If you found the right ones, you might be able to come under or at budget. Or just a newer Scout and save the rest for fuel, user fees, maintenance, annuals, upgrades, repairs, new engine, and insurance.

Or, just buy a Mall :D :D
58Skylane offline

lesuther offline
Supporter

I have always wanted a really nice Super Cub. But, with that amount of money, I would seriously look at a Helio Currier. The performance stats on that plane are amazing. It will carry a lot and will get you into just about any place you want. With what remains, I would buy fuel.
Charles
MontanaT-craft offline

In your case, I would buy a Helio Courier too. They go fast and slow well.
http://www.planecheck.com/index.asp?ent ... 7087&cor=y
http://www.airplanemart.com/aircraft-fo ... rier/4795/

If it were me and I had that much money. I would buy my 175 back. Put in a reserve tank. Then I would go to Costa Rico and buy my citizenship for 60K, a small house for 40K and a nice boat for 20K. Then I would spend the other 40K fishing and staring at the sunset. The government pays you back the 60K with interest so I would be set for quite a while.
Jaerl offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... Q0xkBgMvPi

qmdv wrote:
Oh, just noticed that he is from Canada. That explains it.

Tim

[/color]

Care to elaborate on this statement?...
avgas offline

DISPLAY OPTIONS

Next
72 postsPage 1 of 41, 2, 3, 4