One thing I could use a hand with is some new articles-- original, unpublished narratives written by members of the BCP community. Long ago when I first started BCP, I asked for articles to be submitted, and we got some good stuff: Stories of bear standoffs, sheep hunts, encounters with ice overflow, PiReps on places and experiences with getting new ratings -- It was fun, and I still have those indexed somewhere. I'd like to have some new stuff accumulated by launch time, so I'm making the call to you guys for submissions. I know many of you fly every day, in some incredible places, and have some great adventures that us office dwellers would love to be privy to.
Everyone's familiar with aviation news websites. Avweb.com, AOPA, etc all do a great job of churning up news bits. Avweb especially has some great videos of their contributors and editors checking out new aircraft and new products. The new site is going to have an increased news and feature element to it, and I could use your help getting started on that.
Here's are some examples of articles categories that would be great to have, but we are by no means limited to:
- Extended PiReps (meaning more verbose and narrative than usual) on airstrips, or a "rating vacation", fly-in etc.
- Modification report, maybe a before and after performance review.
- Aircraft builder's log, could be periodic/recurring.
- Maintenance tips, field repairs (the guilty shall be protected.)
- A trip report with photos and/or video.
- A detailed "Live to Tell" tale, like AOPA's Never Again.
- An installment of an ongoing campaign, like Onthegas's "landing at every state airport in CA" thread.
- General editorial thoughts on backcountry aviation, opinion pieces, etc.
- Interview with an industry personality or company (aircraft, aviation, mods, instruction, maintenance, etc.)
- Product reviews (no shills please.)
- An encounter with great airplane, in great detail (See MTV's article on the Cessna Airmaster in AOPA last year. Very nice work.)
Take photos or video if possible. Submissions can be sent to me via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please don't post them in the forum, as they are going to be revealed for the first time on launch day! It's just more fun for everyone that way I think. Later on it won't matter as I will continue to collect bits of goodness from the forum as usual. Photos can be sent via email attachments, please do not embed them in a Word file. Videos, go ahead and upload them to Vimeo or Youtube if you can. I can also host videos here and will help you get them uploaded if you don't want to use the major video sites.
It's possible to make some articles and video available only to logged-in members if you require that.
Free t-shirt(s) to the author(s) of pieces that get published. I understand that's nothing really, but hey, you'll get kudos and accolades from the community too! Later down the road I might be able to afford to pay a few bucks.