Backcountry Pilot • 200 k in pocket what wud u buy?.

200 k in pocket what wud u buy?.

Technical and practical discussion about specific aircraft types such as Cessna 180, Maule M7, et al. Please read and search carefully before posting, as many popular topics have already been discussed.
72 postsPage 3 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Re: 200 k in pocket what wud u buy?.

Bam Bam, sorry for the hazing, we really are just a bunch of jokers, and we do love our Canadian neighbors. Actually, we are Canadian, or a good percentage of us anyway, in the collective sense. Lots of reading to be done here on the topic of Which Airplane is Right For Me? but it's also our favorite bad weather hangar flying topic, so don't run away.

We might also be jealous that you have 200K in pocket. That's 1500 cords of firewud.
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Aircraft: Bearhawk

Hazing? I was going to seriously suggest a one-way Southwest ticket to Vegas.
Vick offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... WUk8CX06AP
Solum Volamus

So....... How about them Malls?? :D
58Skylane offline

Well, seeing as how this is BCP, I think the P210 and the 337 are probably out, at least until we know more. A friend of mine sold his half of a P210 and bought a 231 and felt like he was now flying for free.

I've never flown, rode in, or hung out with any T206s but that T scares me. On my budget anyway. I think, given my situation and $200K I'd get me a Carbon Cub, though I don't know about that ECI engine. If I needed 4 seats I'd be gettin' a Maule. Or a Super Stinson, all up, full boat, double throwdown restoration.
Mister701 offline

Don't know which plane I would get with 200k, Canadian or USd. Here's a few candidates, not in order. For those under 200k...extra would go toward paying off Philippine customs.

Bush Caddy L162 2+1
Bear Hawk Patrol
Carbon Cub
M****
WingsOverPalawan offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... qYX5hfAl4X
Ridge Runner
Model 3

I would just buy a new High Country Explorer and burn the rest up in fuel!
hicountry offline
'05 7GCBC High Country Explorer
The faster I go , the farther behind I get.

...and Zane has a kegerator! :lol:

A man after my own heart! Z- what's on tap? :D
RDUStinson offline
108-3

Well I didn't expect this outcome to what I felt was a legitimate inquiry. I appreciate all the PM's and no I don't hold any animosity for the any fellow BCP ers. All though I may visit Nevada, I WUD suggest someone buckling up his chin strap... :shock: My inquiry was not to rub in peoples noses, or express in anyway I was better than them. I have a Beech Baron, which I have tentatively sold and was going to add some much earned savings to purchase my dream aircraft. I have flown enough of the airways over the years, my wife and I simply want to start enjoying the low and slow life style. Perhaps I should have elaborated additional info on the earlier post.

As for the grammar lessons, this is the part of the discussion I actually enjoyed, I tend to spend much of my time on my BBM and I guess I have developed some bad habits.

Now back to your replies, I am a larger guy 6'3 290 lbs so some of the tandem type tail draggers I simply can't fit in, A super cub I wear like a shoe..(open for comments) I haven't seen a Top Cub or similar I heard and read they have a larger cabin. I have been in a Maule albeit a M5 but seems comfortable enough. My concern with the larger birds ie. 180's and 185's is my comfort level in flying them, I don't have much tail dragger time so that is a concern. LSA's don't have the useful load I require, the ones I have read about. Although I liked the Highlander. Cessna 206 I like as well, but was kinda leaning towards a tail wheel.

Anyway, again I appreciate almost all the comments, and I hope to meet some of you over the coming months at Johnson Creek etc.

Bam
Bam Bam offline

A previous poster said the 206 is more comfy than the Found BH. I disagree, maybe he is small framed? For a big guy, or a tall guy like me I've found the Bushawk to have SUV-like seating. And now they make a nose wheel version too I believe. Slightly slower.

It isn't perfect but I haven't found one that is.
onceAndFutr_alaskaflyer offline
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan and Carson Valley, Nevada

I think we Nevadoans were amongst the best and the brightest in this thread. I'd be goin' after them Orygonads if it was me. Them guys is mean.
Mister701 offline

I'm 6'2", and I think the Found BH and 206 are both very comfortable. If you are 6'3" and 290, I would think a 180 or 185 is going to have you rubbing shoulders with your front seat passenger quite a bit.

Speaking of passengers, the back seats of the 206 are more passenger-friendly than the sling seat in the BH. I've been pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the sling seat can be--but only for 2 people. I wouldn't want to be the third person stuck in the middle on a long trip. Based only on my limited experience, I think the BH is a better cargo plane which sometimes carries passengers, whereas the 206 is a better passenger plane which sometimes hauls cargo. (not counting you Alaska guys, who do things with planes I'll never dream of)

The training wheel on the 206 is also more friendly than the 180/185 if you don't have much tailwheel time (I haven't flown the tricycle version of the BH). If choosing between BH and 185, I also think the BH has much better viz over the nose on taxi and approach.

Personally, I prefer the BH over the 185. However, as much as I love taildraggers, unless I planned on spending a lot of time landing in really tough places, I would go with the 206. So many great places like Johnson Creek and others in the backcountry are perfectly accessible without a tailwheel, and without having to worry about swapping ends. It sounds like blasphemy to hear myself say it out loud, but it's the truth.
RanchPilot offline
Experience is the knowledge that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

What about a Murphy Moose? Looks big enough. You may find a good deal on a Comp Air 7 somewhere too.

And congrats on being in a position to buy a dream plane. What you do with the resources God allows you to be a steward of is your business. All I ask, is that you post some pix of whatever you end up getting!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.102946,-75.543700
WingsOverPalawan offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... qYX5hfAl4X
Ridge Runner
Model 3

6'3" and 290 might be a bit on the "snuggly" side in a Maule. I'm 5'8"/160 and although my self image is that I have a rather Arnold Schwarzneggeresque physique, some would argue that in reality I'm more Pee wee Hermanesque. Now that you have a visual I can tell you that if I have another human slightly larger than I am sharing the front of my Maule it's like being in the middle seat in the coach section on a typical airliner. If she's friendly this could be good but if it's one of your sweaty buddies, maybe not so good.

My grand father was born in Canada, moved to the US and was deported back to Canada for running booze across the river to Detroit during prohibition. Supported himself boxing for a couple years before eventually getting back to the States. My daughter is dating a Canadian, lives in Alberta. Canadians are alright in my book.

Mr. Ed
Mr. Ed offline

RanchPilot wrote:I'm 6'2", and I think the Found BH and 206 are both very comfortable. If you are 6'3" and 290, I would think a 180 or 185 is going to have you rubbing shoulders with your front seat passenger quite a bit.

Speaking of passengers, the back seats of the 206 are more passenger-friendly than the sling seat in the BH. I've been pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the sling seat can be--but only for 2 people. I wouldn't want to be the third person stuck in the middle on a long trip. Based only on my limited experience, I think the BH is a better cargo plane which sometimes carries passengers, whereas the 206 is a better passenger plane which sometimes hauls cargo. (not counting you Alaska guys, who do things with planes I'll never dream of)

The training wheel on the 206 is also more friendly than the 180/185 if you don't have much tailwheel time (I haven't flown the tricycle version of the BH). If choosing between BH and 185, I also think the BH has much better viz over the nose on taxi and approach.

Personally, I prefer the BH over the 185. However, as much as I love taildraggers, unless I planned on spending a lot of time landing in really tough places, I would go with the 206. So many great places like Johnson Creek and others in the backcountry are perfectly accessible without a tailwheel, and without having to worry about swapping ends. It sounds like blasphemy to hear myself say it out loud, but it's the truth.

Perhaps the rear sling seat is an available cost savings option on the Bushhawk - or maybe some of the original models came with it - but our model which was delivered in I believe 2007 has three individually-removable and adjustable upholstered bench seats in the rear. Quite comfy. I think you can even spec leather seats #-o

Edit: And the nosewheel model is called the Expedition. Here's some photos: http://www.halls.md/expedition/index.htm
onceAndFutr_alaskaflyer offline
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan and Carson Valley, Nevada

Bam Bam wrote:Well I didn't expect this outcome to what I felt was a legitimate inquiry. I appreciate all the PM's and no I don't hold any animosity for the any fellow BCP ers. All though I may visit Nevada, I WUD suggest someone buckling up his chin strap... :shock: My inquiry was not to rub in peoples noses, or express in anyway I was better than them. I have a Beech Baron, which I have tentatively sold and was going to add some much earned savings to purchase my dream aircraft. I have flown enough of the airways over the years, my wife and I simply want to start enjoying the low and slow life style. Perhaps I should have elaborated additional info on the earlier post.

As for the grammar lessons, this is the part of the discussion I actually enjoyed, I tend to spend much of my time on my BBM and I guess I have developed some bad habits.

Now back to your replies, I am a larger guy 6'3 290 lbs so some of the tandem type tail draggers I simply can't fit in, A super cub I wear like a shoe..(open for comments) I haven't seen a Top Cub or similar I heard and read they have a larger cabin. I have been in a Maule albeit a M5 but seems comfortable enough. My concern with the larger birds ie. 180's and 185's is my comfort level in flying them, I don't have much tail dragger time so that is a concern. LSA's don't have the useful load I require, the ones I have read about. Although I liked the Highlander. Cessna 206 I like as well, but was kinda leaning towards a tail wheel.

Anyway, again I appreciate almost all the comments, and I hope to meet some of you over the coming months at Johnson Creek etc.

Bam

BamBam...I'm 6'4", 260 lbs and I'm comfortable in my ACA High Country Explorer. I've sat in a C-185 with a 170 lbs person and there is not a lot of extra shoulder room..slightly wider than my old C-170. Just a thought.
hicountry offline
'05 7GCBC High Country Explorer
The faster I go , the farther behind I get.

Don't fear the tailwheel. They are definitely to be shown great respect, but I know several guys who have bought truly awesome 182's only to heed the call of the 'dragger and trade up later because... Taildraggers are fun. Why? There is little in the way of rationale, as very few of us really need that clearance, but they are just more fun.

Spend some time in a 8GCBC Scout (great for big guys) and get good at crosswind handling. Your rudder reflexes will improve and by the time you climb into a bigger heavier taildragger, it won't be an issue. Guys who learned in taildraggers rarely express much anxiety about them, but guys who learned in trikes (me) know exactly how that feels. It's all muscle memory.

I wudn't bullshit you.
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Aircraft: Bearhawk

Zane wrote:Don't fear the tailwheel. They are definitely to be shown great respect, but I know several guys who have bought truly awesome 182's only to heed the call of the 'dragger and trade up later because... Taildraggers are fun. Why? There is little in the way of rationale, as very few of us really need that clearance, but they are just more fun.

Spend some time in a 8GCBC Scout (great for big guys) and get good at crosswind handling. Your rudder reflexes will improve and by the time you climb into a bigger heavier taildragger, it won't be an issue. Guys who learned in taildraggers rarely express much anxiety about them, but guys who learned in trikes (me) know exactly how that feels. It's all muscle memory.

I wudn't bullshit you.

Even though I get a kick out of poking fun at that cute little tiny wheel in the back, I too will someday (I hope [-o< ) have a tail-wheel plane. More than likely a Scout. I'm 6'2" and about 230ish :^o pounds and the Scout would be perfect for 98% of my missions.
58Skylane offline

I'm 6-0 and 220, and watching me climb into Rob's Muh, Muuuh, Muuuuuuh.... Maule was like a monkey and a football. I had a hard time.

A C180/185... No problem whatsoever.

Lots of threads here on BCP re: first time Skywagon experiences. Very capable, and very docile airplane for most folks.

Gump
GumpAir offline
Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmachine which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come.

The C180/185 (like the Bonanza & the SuperCub) is a benchmark airplane-- one that other airplanes with similar missions are always compared to. If you can afford the ride, it's hard to go wrong with a Skywagon. Goes fast-- lands slow--takes off short. Or buy a Bonanza for long trips & a SC for the boonies. Or some combination of two outa these three -- lots of options with $200K available.
hotrod150 offline
minimums are for busting

The 206 would a guy consider a turbo or not look at a turbo? Stick with a higher hp version?
Bam Bam offline

DISPLAY OPTIONS

PreviousNext
72 postsPage 3 of 41, 2, 3, 4