Backcountry Pilot • What would you pay for MOGAS

What would you pay for MOGAS

Nothing happens without it. Discuss fuel locations, quality, alternatives, and anything else related to this critical resource.
43 postsPage 1 of 31, 2, 3

What would you pay for MOGAS

How much would you pay for Eth free Mogas if you could get it at an airport. In other words, if 100LL was at 6 bucks in your area, how much cheaper would the mogas have to be for you to go to an airport that had it. How far out of the way would you go.

Tim
qmdv offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 76ZBaO92LN

Re: What would you pay for MOGAS

91 eth free, less highway tax in NC should end up about $3.50 Gal. I'm can live with That!
jjack offline

You gonna run the fuel at Montague?

Gump
GumpAir offline
Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmachine which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come.

I am willing to pay full 100LL prices for it at the airport on a long trip. I just offered a dude on an ATV avgas prices for anything he had that was leadfree a couple nights ago in Punxatawny--home of the old groundhog.

I'll still skate to find the ethanol for $3.50 when feasible. Lead makes maintenance schedules 50% of what they should be on a 912.

I'll walk a vertical mile for a lead free smile.

er something.
wyomingiswindy offline

In Kalifaornia you have to pay the 35cent excise tax. I would have to charge it and then the end user could file for a return at the end of the year. Mogas has to be shiped from Sparks, NV.

If I charge too much, nobody shows up, if I charge too little then there is no return on investment. The FBO in montague is run by the guy that has the glider operation in Williams CA and he just got 8000 gallons of 100ll and has it for sale at 5.65. Really hard to compete with that.

tim
qmdv offline

He's selling fuel at Rohrer now? Last time through I had to get fuel at Siskiyou County. It was $6.39 a gal.

Gump
GumpAir offline
Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmachine which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come.

qmdv wrote:Really hard to compete with that.

Unfortuantely, there's your answer.
NimpoCub offline
FindMeSpot URL: www.tinyurl.com/loganspot
Nimpo Lake Logan... boonie SuperCubber

If Avgas is $6.00/gal and I could buy mogas at $5.00/gal I'd be all over it. That's up to $40 savings per tank full. But... I'm not in your area.
GroundLooper offline
BCP Poser.
Fox News, the "We just make shit up" corporation.

qmdv wrote:In Kalifaornia you have to pay the 35cent excise tax. I would have to charge it and then the end user could file for a return at the end of the year. Mogas has to be shiped from Sparks, NV.

If I charge too much, nobody shows up, if I charge too little then there is no return on investment. The FBO in montague is run by the guy that has the glider operation in Williams CA and he just got 8000 gallons of 100ll and has it for sale at 5.65. Really hard to compete with that.

tim
Tell me where you get it in Sparks. My calls have indicated it can't be found here. I must be calling the wrong people.
Mister701 offline

If it is .50 cents less I'm on it. I can get ethanol free 92 for $3.80

Good day
OregonMaule offline
My SPOT page

Don't just be mad about people in our country illegally. DO SOMETHING POSITIVE !
http://www.numbersusa.com/content/

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety". Ben Franklin
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

There is a tank farm in Sparks. That is where it can be had, just have to buy 8700 gallons at a time. Try calling the local bulk plants and see if they have it and see what stations they supply.

Hard to find since the gov f**cked us with the eth fecal material. Try this.
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NV

Is Fallon too far. Did I say that the gov knows best for us.

Tim
qmdv offline

qmdv wrote:There is a tank farm in Sparks. That is where it can be had, just have to buy 8700 gallons at a time. Try calling the local bulk plants and see if they have it and see what stations they supply.

Hard to find since the gov f**cked us with the eth fecal material. Try this.
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NV

Is Fallon too far. Did I say that the gov knows best for us.

Tim
I'll have to drive down there and hunt around. There's a bulk fuel distributor on Praeter that sells racing gas and other specialty fuels. I asked them about it in 250 gallon quantities and they said no way. I'm talking to the wrong people. I may do some politicking with some of the pilots associations. N86 is not county, it's a leasehold on BLM land. We have 100LL but I would think that adding an above ground 8700 tank might work if we could pay for the investment and then pass sell at non-profit after recouping. Hmmmmm, a 501-3C competing with for profit companies. Maybe you can't do that. :roll:
Mister701 offline

I am paying 3.64 for it right now. The Cenex coop is the only place in town that has it with no alchohol. Although my plane is certified to run 91Oct cargas, I never put more than 50% cargas in it. I will run car gas forever this way or until 100ll gets cheaper than car gas. :D
I have my own tank on a trailer with a pump that holds 76gal that I use to haul it to the plane.
hicountry offline
'05 7GCBC High Country Explorer
The faster I go , the farther behind I get.

Just looked up last months Pac Pride bill, average for the month was $3.89. Picked up one mile from my airport (MMV)
Would fly to the break even point to get it.
Terry offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 4GzPHI6t1d

Our local fuel distributor here in SE Idaho that was the last holdout for ethanol free gas as of last month no longer can provide it. I know a lot of you guys that always burned mogas faced this situation some time ago, but I am just coming to grips with it. My bulk 300 gallon tank is empty, I just can't stand the thought of filling it up with 10% ethanol fuel, regardless of the price. So, I have been buying small amounts as needed, 10 or 20 gallons at a time, trying to keep the time it's sitting around before flying with to a minimum.

When on a xc I will do anything to avoid burning av gas, short of a unplanned dead stick landing, the price is secondary but happily it is usually of course cheaper :D
courierguy offline
"Its easier to apologize then ask permission"
Tex McClatchy

I know a guy here on BCP, runs mogas with ethanol all the time. It works great for him. I won't say who it is, lets say you all have the utmost respect for him.

Good day
OregonMaule offline
My SPOT page

Don't just be mad about people in our country illegally. DO SOMETHING POSITIVE !
http://www.numbersusa.com/content/

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety". Ben Franklin
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

OregonMaule wrote:I know a guy here on BCP, runs mogas with ethanol all the time. It works great for him. I won't say who it is, lets say you all have the utmost respect for him.
Good day

Now everbody knows it is not me

tim
qmdv offline

I've been buying E-zero 92 octane mogas at the local CFN/Petit Oil cardlock outlet, for about a 40 cent premium over 92 octane E10 at the local stations. Up until a couple weeks ago, that was around $4 or a bit less. 100LL goes for right around $6 at most airports around here. Nearby, Oak Harbor airport sells 100LL for 5.95, & mogas (octane?) for 5.25 which seems excessive.
hotrod150 offline
minimums are for busting

Evidently you guys have missed all of Glidergeek's posts on his auto fuel experience and Emsflys. Right now there is an abundance of gasoline available and the price just keeps climbing just because the oil companies can do whatever they want with a "what you gonna do about it attitude". I know of an old Cessna that has been using E10 for over 5 years even though E0 could be had from the other nozzle on the pump. I've been doing a little test with the Stihl chainsaw---I mixed the oil with the E10 last Feb. and the same batch of fuel will make it run today so it must not be too stale. I don't use it much but it is nice to know that I can.
180Marty offline

180Marty wrote:Evidently you guys have missed all of Glidergeek's posts on his auto fuel experience and Emsflys. Right now there is an abundance of gasoline available and the price just keeps climbing just because the oil companies can do whatever they want with a "what you gonna do about it attitude". I know of an old Cessna that has been using E10 for over 5 years even though E0 could be had from the other nozzle on the pump. I've been doing a little test with the Stihl chainsaw---I mixed the oil with the E10 last Feb. and the same batch of fuel will make it run today so it must not be too stale. I don't use it much but it is nice to know that I can.
Hmmph. I been using it in my Harley and my chainsaw and weed whipper. Same outcome. A million years ago, I think Honda and Yamaha warned not to use Shell brand gasoline because of it's deleterious effect on rubber stuff. Was that alcohol anybody know?
Mister701 offline

DISPLAY OPTIONS

Next
43 postsPage 1 of 31, 2, 3