Backcountry Pilot • Mogas into Kalifornia

Mogas into Kalifornia

Nothing happens without it. Discuss fuel locations, quality, alternatives, and anything else related to this critical resource.
11 postsPage 1 of 1

Mogas into Kalifornia

Eth free mogas is available in Medford Oregon. If a guy wanted to sell it at an airport in Nor Cal (about 70 miles south of Medford), does anybody out there know what roadblocks would be in the way to get that to happen.

I know that the suppliers in Medford do not have their bobtail trucks registered in CA. A trip permit would take care of that.

I have access to a 2000 gallon above ground ConVault tank and dispencer. Is a floating suction required for dipencing fuel into aircraft? Not sure.

Anything negative to think about.

Tim
qmdv offline

Re: Mogas into Kalifornia

I would think if the authorities caught wind of it they'd be on said person like stink on a politician. I would expect huge fines because this is California after all. If said person and his friends kept it a secret then it would probably be okay.
svanarts offline

svanarts wrote:I would think if the authorities caught wind of it they'd be on said person like stink on a politician. I would expect huge fines because this is California after all. If said person and his friends kept it a secret then it would probably be okay.

Mogas that is eth free is still an approved fuel for aircraft, even in CA. To my knowlege, it is not made in CA anywhere.

If it happens, it would be advertised. It will be hard to do and to make it work, costs have to be spread. That means the more in sales, the cheaper it is.

Tim
qmdv offline

I think it may have something to do with TAXES. I would buy my 91 Oct car gas in WY where it is always cheaper but there might be a problem transporting it into another state to use..kinda' like fuel permits for over-the-road trucks?
hicountry offline
'05 7GCBC High Country Explorer
The faster I go , the farther behind I get.

Tim, I'm sure they couldn't sell it to you out of state without meeting California's rules. You might get around it by buying it in Oregon and then pay them to deliver it. I know it is a fine line but might be a way around it. Do you have to drive through a Port of Entry or is there a back road you could use? I think it is a $900 fine for avoiding a Port of Entry but if you hauled it yourself no one would know or care. Check out the Army Surplus Places. They usually have fuel tanks you could haul it in. I think around here you can haul 300 gallons without a permit but that might have changed.
Jaerl offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... Q0xkBgMvPi

Gas.... Smas....

You gonna have beer in that hobby shop?

Gump
GumpAir offline
Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmachine which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come.

GumpAir wrote:Gas.... Smas....

You gonna have beer in that hobby shop?

Gump

Not wanting to sell it at the hobby shop. No sneaking arround, taxes will be paid.

Tim
qmdv offline

Does any 100LL come across state lines? Seems the same rules should apply and maybe the same truck could haul it since it is going to be avgas.
180Marty offline

From the Sportfuel website...

Among the hundreds of pilots who have joined the AFC since January, quite a few are based in California, a state where ethanol-free fuel has all but disappeared from gas stations and marinas in recent years.  Like all other states in the U.S. however, in California off-highway vehicles are exempted from ethanol mandates, so in principle autogas can be sold at airports provided suppliers can be found.  One of the earliest members of the AFC is Stinson Reliant restorer Phillips Sweet of San Jose, who keeps his airplane at the Reid-Hillview airport (KRHV).  Working with a group of other local pilots, the airport manager and one of the airport's FBOs, Phillips found a surplus fuel trailer that the airport will park near an existing avgas fuel station. We helped Phillips locate a supplier of 91+ octane fuel, Medford Fuel in Medford, Oregon.  Medford Fuel's owner is a collector of classic cars, and understands the importance of maintaining supplies of ethanol-free fuels. The airport management at Reid-Hillview sees the addition of autogas as a means to revitalize the once-bustling sport aviation community at the airport through lower cost fuel.  They also see the use of autogas as a demonstrable means of reducing aviation-created lead emissions in their community. We'll report to the AFC membership again just as soon as Phillips is ready to begin sales of autogas at Reid-Hillview.
Elsewhere in California, efforts are now coalescing to bring autogas to a number of airfields in the Central Valley including Turlock, Merced and Fresno. Likewise in the LA basin there are now quite a few AFC members, however none have stepped forward to lead an effort. Fuel suppliers in Nevada and Arizona have already been identified. We are in touch with a member of the LA Airports Commission who has endorsed such an effort, provided a legitimate business case can be established at airports. If you'd like to lead the drive to bring autogas to your airport, contact AFC Director Kent Misegades .   In all cases, becoming a Sport Fuel Dealer will give pilots and airports the added assurance that the fuel is of the highest quality, is stored in aviation-grade equipment and will be marketed with the assistance of the Sport Fuel brand owner, U-Fuel.
Vick offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... WUk8CX06AP
Solum Volamus

If E-Free auto fuel becomes available in Turlock that will become my new gas station.
svanarts offline

I say we organize a demonstration fly-by of a few dozen planes past all of the elementary schools in the area to salute the teachers and the students for all their hard work, and to emphasize the need for math and science education. Put out a press release to all the papers that it will be happening a few months in the future, and put in a notable quote about how disappointed we are that the airplanes will be spewing toxic lead into the atmosphere, and how we are baffled that the CA legislature would require us to do such a thing. Think of the children!!! It might get the E0 fuel back, but more likely they would just ban flying within a hundred miles of a school.
kevbert offline

DISPLAY OPTIONS

11 postsPage 1 of 1