Backcountry Pilot • 100 VLL

100 VLL

Nothing happens without it. Discuss fuel locations, quality, alternatives, and anything else related to this critical resource.
7 postsPage 1 of 1

100 VLL

Just got this from our friends at FAA it's much longer but here's the first paragraph.

This Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin (SAIB) advises aircraft operators, Fixed Base
Operators (FBOs), FAA repair stations and Flight Standards District Offices, and Foreign Civil
Aviation Authorities that grade 100VLL aviation gasoline meeting the American Society for Testing
and Materials (ASTM) fuel specification D910 is acceptable for use on aircraft and engines
certificated for operation with D910 grades 80, 91, 100, and 100LL aviation gasolines. Grade
100VLL meets all the performance requirements of grades 80, 91, 100, and 100LL and therefore
meets the approved operating limitations for aircraft and engines certificated to operate with these
other grades of aviation gasoline
Glidergeek offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... nVuAbOmQ7U

Re: 100 VLL

What is the difference between 100VLL and 100LL.... If it's cheaper you have my attention! Is it very low lead?
robw56 offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... hqkjZ4hVF9
1953 Cessna 170B

robw56 wrote:What is the difference between 100VLL and 100LL.... If it's cheaper you have my attention! Is it very low lead?

Less lead would be great news. Of course, I'm sure they'll have a reason why it costs more to give you less. Will be interested to see if any gets produced - if it's approved for all engines certified for use on 100LL I'm assuming it has enough lead to satisfy the high compression/turbo crowd.
Vick offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... WUk8CX06AP
Solum Volamus

Another new aviation fuel -- just what we need! What ever happened to that 82UL from a few years ago that was gonna be the next big thing? Never heard of this 100VLL, but keep hearing talk about swiftfuel-- I suppose that'll be the next announcement.
Sure wish they (whoever "they" are) would just make ethanol-free 92 octane unleaded car gas widely available-- that'd do the trick for a lot of us.
Still one gas station near me offering it-- long as they hold out I'm good t go.
hotrod150 offline
minimums are for busting

What is the difference between 100VLL and 100LL

I think it said 13% less lead IIRC.
180Marty offline

It is not a new fuel. It is 100 LL with slightly higher natural octane and about 19% less lead. Turns out that most refineries have been making 100 VLL for several years and it is most of the avgas today. See this report, http://www.generalaviationnews.com/2011 ... on-100vll/ Nobody bothered to say anything about it until FOE threatened to sue the EPA a little more than six months ago to really "get the lead out". So now the FAA and EPA are bragging that they are doing something about it. Of course they won't do a thing to lift a finger to guarantee the supply of ethanol free mogas in the future, and add infrastructure to our airports, which would actually significantly reduce leaded avgas usage.

Last week the FOE did actually sue the EPA over leaded avgas and everybody is in a tizzy once again about the future of 100LL. Of course they aren't talking about the disappearance of TEL once the one producer in the world has no more market in the third world as all of those refineries switch to unleaded auto fuel production under prodding by the U.N. within the next couple of years.
N1593Y offline
Fly lead free on mogas: www.flyunleaded.com

It is not a new fuel. It is 100 LL with slightly higher natural octane and about 19% less lead. Turns out that most refineries have been making 100 VLL for several years and it is most of the avgas today. See this report, http://www.generalaviationnews.com/2011 ... on-100vll/ Nobody bothered to say anything about it until FOE threatened to sue the EPA a little more than six months ago to really "get the lead out". So now the FAA and EPA are bragging that they are doing something about it.

You guys are to funny. You'll stand on your head to support the BS artists----me, I'll use fuel that I have the option to make in the back yard like Granny(Beverly Hillbillies). I hate the feeling of being a hostage.
180Marty offline

DISPLAY OPTIONS

7 postsPage 1 of 1