Backcountry Pilot • Ethanol

Ethanol

Nothing happens without it. Discuss fuel locations, quality, alternatives, and anything else related to this critical resource.
15 postsPage 1 of 1

Ethanol

I saw the subject come up in another post. I enjoyed the discussion but rather than take away from the original post I thought it better to start a different post.

You all seem to be more up to date on this than me, so I'm asking if they have found a way to grow ethanol and have it be self supporting. I was under the impression that a farm growing ethanol would only work with government help, and if the farm equipment used, was all run on ethanol they would burn more than they produced. This seems counter productive if it is true.
madpilot offline
The Mormon Pilot
www.mormonpilot.com

Re: Ethanol

I won't get in a debate about ethanol and airplanes, but to answer your question, no that is not correct. Steve
steve offline

I am not sure the tax cost to me for Ethanol, Oil, or any US energy production. So many back room deals on each that are intended to mislead and confuse. All I can do is see todays unit price of each and try and be smart about leaving as much money in my pocket as I can. If you realy know where your tax money is going you are smarter than me or one of the crooks. Thats my hot air.
Skydive206 offline

But I think to get a true cost of production, all energy used to produce it should come from it. Anybody ever figure that out. I read that if all power used to produce wind generators came from wind generators and there was no subsidy, they would be imposible to justify.

Tim
qmdv offline

madpilot wrote:I saw the subject come up in another post. I enjoyed the discussion but rather than take away from the original post I thought it better to start a different post.

You all seem to be more up to date on this than me, so I'm asking if they have found a way to grow ethanol and have it be self supporting. I was under the impression that a farm growing ethanol would only work with government help, and if the farm equipment used, was all run on ethanol they would burn more than they produced. This seems counter productive if it is true.

Because this was posted on aircraft ownership, madpilot should have to clean the bugs off of everbodies plane at JC this year :D

Tim
qmdv offline

qmdv wrote:
madpilot wrote:I saw the subject come up in another post. I enjoyed the discussion but rather than take away from the original post I thought it better to start a different post.

Because this was posted on aircraft ownership, madpilot should have to clean the bugs off of everbodies plane at JC this year :D

Tim

How does this not relate to ownership. Buying gas is on of the basic cost of airplane ownership. Yes I could have put it in hot air, but then I would be encouraging people's opionions and a hot debate about the politics of ethanol. I gathering fact and want a discussion about ethanol and it's relation to aircraft operational cost.
madpilot offline
The Mormon Pilot
www.mormonpilot.com

Fastest way to narrow the cost differential is to use switchgrass as the base for Ethanol as it produces alot higher yield per pound then corn. That will free up the corn inventory for a more productive use.... Like food. #-o #-o . IMHO.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -than-corn

Ben.
Stol offline

Stol wrote:

Fastest way to narrow the cost differential is to use switchgrass as the base for Ethanol as it produces alot higher yield per pound then corn. That will free up the corn inventory for a more productive use.... Like food. #-o #-o . IMHO.

Ben.

Thants for the great article Ben
madpilot offline
The Mormon Pilot
www.mormonpilot.com

Stol wrote:

Ben.

Beef eat switchgrass. Have to replace that grass with somthing.

Tim
qmdv offline

qmdv wrote:
Stol wrote:

Ben.

Beef eat switchgrass. Have to replace that grass with somthing.

Tim

Tim eats beef. Have to replace Tim with...?

(Sorry Tim, somebody had to do it) :mrgreen:
denalipilot offline

Off the topic here. I sure do enjoy the kidding and some good quality sarcasm that goes on in this forum. Comes close to the honed skills that I witnessed in submarine service. All good stuff.

tim
qmdv offline

qmdv wrote:Off the topic here. I sure do enjoy the kidding and some good quality sarcasm that goes on in this forum. Comes close to the honed skills that I witnessed in submarine service. All good stuff.

tim

Glad you thought so. I'll buy the steaks if we're ever out to dinner together.
denalipilot offline

When Tim stopped here, I fed him medium egg noodles and spaghetti sauce. Didn't tell him I favored the ethanol plant with my corn over the feedlot. :D In reality, a third of the corn that goes to the plant comes back out as a higher quality, high protein cattle, dairy, and other livestock feed. Corn oil comes back out also.
180Marty offline

180Marty wrote:When Tim stopped here, I fed him medium egg noodles and spaghetti sauce. Didn't tell him I favored the ethanol plant with my corn over the feedlot. :D In reality, a third of the corn that goes to the plant comes back out as a higher quality, high protein cattle, dairy, and other livestock feed. Corn oil comes back out also.

You failed to mention that you fed me corn meal mush in the morning :D Yes you did mention the eth plant. Marty is a good guy is is one of the BCP guys I that helped me mooch my way from Providence RI to Home in my new to me 182B. Not once in a motel room and only had to buy four meals in a week.

Tim
qmdv offline

Technology Can Make Ethanol From Coal
Comment on this post Posted by Cindy Zimmerman – May 31st, 2011

A new technology to produce ethanol from coal could be a new alternative to plant-produced ethanol.

Chemical product company Celanese recently introduced investors to Celanese TCX™, a new and proprietary technology for ethanol production from coal, petroleum coke or natural gas. According to company officials who call it game-changing technology, Celanese TCX™ can produce ethanol at the equivalent of gasoline produced with $60 per barrel crude oil.

Celanese, which has offices around the world and in Dallas, Tex., is planning to build two facilities in China by the end of the year that will use coal to produce ethanol for industrial uses. Officials say they may produce ethanol for fuel as well in China and other countries.
180Marty offline

DISPLAY OPTIONS

15 postsPage 1 of 1