Backcountry Pilot • Do you have a motorcycle license? (please respond!)

Do you have a motorcycle license? (please respond!)

A general forum for anything related to flying the backcountry...or just flying in general. Please check first if your new topic fits better into a more specific forum before posting.
87 postsPage 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5

Do you have a motorcycle license? (Please respond no matter what!)

Poll ended at Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 131

Do you have a motorcycle license? (please respond!)

Howdy--I've long had a suspicion that the first step to getting a pilots license is getting a motorcycle license.

I'd love to see what percentage of you have motorcycle licenses (I heard it's somewhere around 85% of pilots do)!
crowned offline

Re: Do you have a motorcycle license? (please respond!)

Got my ppl before my motorcycle endorsement. After almost getting killed by other drivers several times I sold the bike and quite riding.
whee offline
"Nobody copies Luscombe except Cessna, everybody else copies the cub."

Yep, I cruised all over the PNW & western Canaduh for many years before I took to the air.
NimpoCub offline
FindMeSpot URL: www.tinyurl.com/loganspot
Nimpo Lake Logan... boonie SuperCubber

Kind of crazy I don't have a ML even though I work for a motorcycle company. I can barrow all kinds of bikes anytime I want, too (if I had a ML). Oh well. I like having metal all around me anyway.
58Skylane offline

Been riding motorized 2 wheelers since I was 8. Never been with out 2-5 of them. Street and dirt. Hundreds of thousands of miles and only been down on the street 1 time. 2 deer took me out, but I killed 1 of them. :twisted: Now I own a Buell S3T the deer slayer, Goldwing new body style, the best touring bike I have owned, and a Harley V Rod, it needs to go bye bye. Honda XR 400R

Cheers
OregonMaule offline
My SPOT page

Don't just be mad about people in our country illegally. DO SOMETHING POSITIVE !
http://www.numbersusa.com/content/

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety". Ben Franklin
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

I have a bike, haven't got my ml yet though. Owned 2 planes so far, and the new one takes all my spare time, so I'm selling my bike. If the weathers nice enough to bike, it more then good enough to fly, and I'd way rather fly!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
A1Skinner offline
FindMeSpot URL: [url:1vzmrq4a]http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0az97SSJm2Ky58iEMJLqgaAQvVxMnGp6G[/url:1vzmrq4a]
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0az97SSJm2Ky58iEMJLqgaAQvVxMnGp6G

'63 C-180E(Hank)

He flies like an Eagle, but won't land on a branch.

Neat thread Pat...also being in the industry day to day, i've owned over 60 bikes...best therapy/escape item ever....next to flying of course...! my hangar is my home to my bikes as well, cept for my daily driver...stuff in there from '69 forward, lots of 2-strokes....
jomac offline
jomac

Have you seen this? Motorcycles and Airplanes Thread. Also, this one: Backcountry Flying with Your Motorcycle.

I raced motocross for many years of my childhood and adulthood...but was too scared to ride street, so no.

I really miss those days, as I stopped riding after a few scares and the increasing physical cost of getting hurt (age 28).

Early 20's life:
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Visit the help section.
Bearhawk #1318 [49%]

No...I don't...but it sounds like fun...how many hours of training does it take? What is the checkride like?
Troy Hamon offline

jomac wrote:Neat thread Pat...also being in the industry day to day, i've owned over 60 bikes...best therapy/escape item ever....next to flying of course...! my hangar is my home to my bikes as well, cept for my daily driver...stuff in there from '69 forward, lots of 2-strokes....

Jomac....... I didn't start this thread. But dang, next time through Id. Falls I gotta make time to see all them bikes! There's a guy at Caldwell that has a small but impressive collection.

On side note (hope it's not too much of a thread drift), if anybody is buzzing through Birmingham, AL and has a few extra hours to spare. I would highly recommend you stop by the Barber Motorsports Museum in Leeds, AL (just east of Birmingham off of I-20 down the road from the Bass Pro Shop. They have one of the biggest and most impressive motorcycle collection in the world. If your a motorcycle freak (old and new), you can spend almost the whole day there.

Here's their website: http://www.barbermotorsports.com/indy/

Here's the Museum website: http://www.barbermuseum.org/index-full.php

FYI..... they have plenty of RV and big rig parking as well. Very easy to get in and out of.

I would also recommend you plan to go during an event weekend to look around the whole facility. Mr Barber has art work all through out the park. Pretty cool and fun to try to find it all. Most of it is easy to see. But some is really hard to find.
Here's a link to my Facebook pictures I took a few years ago during a test event. I pretty much found all of the artwork they had at the time. Took most of the day to find.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1505540521516.66489.1324371585&type=3&l=9b45cfcbf6
58Skylane offline

got my license about 5-6 years ago, after my pilots license. Got a Goldwing - doesnt fit in the 182 tho,..... :roll:

garth
gear offline

Harley guy here.
Terry offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 4GzPHI6t1d

BMW F650GS 8)

Got my PPL before my ML though.
photopilot offline

Cushman Super Eagle 1960 model. Too big for me to handle at age 12, kept tipping it over with my left foot on the clutch and right foot on the brake while the left hand was on the shift lever. I never could start it hot.

Honda CT 90 1965 $375 To check cattle in hill pasture, mostly I climbed hills and ignored the cattle. Sorry Dad.

Honda CB 90 1966 $410 Transportation to baseball practice, to and from school and weekend rides with neighbor kids. My brother and I put 8500 miles on it before we sold it.

Honda CL 350's 1971 $750 My two brothers and I each bought one and took our first cycle trip to see our Grandmother in Rockford, Washington and on up into Banff National Park, Lake Louise and back across transCanada highway to SD.

Honda CB 500 Four cylinder 1972 $1150 My older brother and I each bought one and with our Dad on a CB 750 and my younger brother on his 350 we took in the Sturgis bike rally. Then my older brother and I headed south on Hwy 83. Kept going till we hit the southern tip of the Yucatan Penninsula. Stopped in Mexico City to watch a bull fight, Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Isla Mujeres. Spent a month in Mexico, camping out in a tent all but four nights. Wouldn't do that today.

These days I check cattle with an ATV Honda four wheeler and a Dream Tundra. Actually do look at the cattle now.
Sorry, license expired.
Last edited by dirtstrip on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dirtstrip offline

Been riding since before birth. Got my A&P and befoe landing a good ob got suck into (because of the A&P) the superbike racing world, and then went on to own a Ducati dealership, I am a mast Ducati tech, as well as knowing BMW, KTM, MV Agusta and Guzzi very well.
Currently I have:

Highly modified Ducati Sport classic 1000
http://dbandkjp.smugmug.com/DBmoto/Duca ... 322_BfrscV

Multistrada 1080, also far from stock

KTM 640 Adventure

Husqvarna SMR450R

1971 Moto Guzzi 750 (bought it when I was 18, in 1988)

Several old Ducati singles, and my all my wifes bikes. It's a sickness.
Anyone want to buy the Multistrada, the KTM, the Husky, or the really cool Ducati Sport Classic? I need to build up the airplane fund to buy myself something good when I finnish and sell my Champ.

D.
Last edited by DavidB. on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidB. offline

Earned my PPL at 17 and started riding MC at 19-before MC licenses existed. And they didn't grandfather anything when it changed.....

lc
Littlecub offline
Humor may not make the world go around, but it certainly cheers up the process... :)
With clothing, the opposite of NOMEX is polypro (polypropylene cloth and fleece).
Success has many fathers...... Failure is an orphan.

Another Cushman Eagle owner.

Suzuki 350

Norton Atlas 750

Triumph Bonneville 650

Norton Commando 850

Was partial to oil spots on my garage floor. 8)
TomD offline

Interesting question ... I'm not surprised there is a positive correlation between bikers and pilots. My last ride was a BMW R90/6; put 40,000 miles on that one. Currently two of my boys have sport bikes so I borrow their wheels when I need to ride.
BeeMan offline
Beeman

Yes but Got PPL in '73, Bike licence in '93. Have an old 84 Goldwing.
oldtech offline
Airspeed, Altitude, Brains. You need 2 of the 3!
The Oldtech

BMW GS - sold it to start training for PPL

'Greg
soyAnarchisto offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... Wd0Trffc0F

DISPLAY OPTIONS

Next
87 postsPage 1 of 51, 2, 3, 4, 5