Backcountry Pilot • Clarity Aloft headset

Clarity Aloft headset

Airplane covers, tires, handheld radios, GPS receivers, wireless Wx uplink, folding bicycles...whatever you think is cool and worthy of discussion, or get a recommendation.
24 postsPage 1 of 21, 2

Clarity Aloft headset

I'm using a David Clark which is great but becomes a grind after about 90 minutes if I'm also wearing sunglasses. I'm therefore thinking of purchasing the Clarity Aloft, in-ear headset, but I don't know anybody using them and would very much appreciate some frank user opinion. Thanks.
pitfield offline

Re: Clarity Aloft headset

There are two ways to cause hearing loss:

1) loud noise imparted to your eardrum and
2) loud noise imparted to the bone process (the mastoid process) just behind your ear

The latter process is largely protected by the large ear cups found on most aviation headsets and other hearing protection devices. Note that most shooters (who have any hearing left, that is) use full ear muffs rather than just ear plugs, same for construction, etc.

See: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... conduction

If you use one of these in-ear headsets in a noisy environment, you WILL incur substantial hearing loss, via the bone transmission path.

Now, if you're flying a Citation, go for it....

But if you're flying anything with a piston engine, I'd buy a Lightspeed Zulu headset. Less clamping pressure than DC, and excellent passive and active noise reduction. Its still a clamping device, but pretty comfortable even after hours.

MTV
mtv offline

We bought a C.A. for my wife. Quality is great, very comfortable if you can tolerate the in-the-ear-canal presence. My wife hates conventional headsets, she complains of fatigue with the clamping and the weight, and she is used to her iPod earplug headphones so it was a match made in heaven. She flies only occasionally so I would imagine that any concern with MTV's information would be, well, attenuated 8) Seems as though a lot of aerobatic pilots use it.

OTOH I have a David Clark H20-10 ENC and find it very comfortable. I use her Clarity Aloft occasionally when she isn't flying with me but I prefer a standard headset even with sunglasses. I want a DC X-11 - but $hee$h. Maybe for Christmas.
onceAndFutr_alaskaflyer offline
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan and Carson Valley, Nevada

I did consider an in-the-ear headset, but finally went this route instead. Just my $.02

I recently bought a LS Zulu, after flying several hours each with both Bose and Zulu. I'm 100% happy and comfort has been a non-issue, at least up to the 5-hour flights I've taken (and I wear glasses all the time). My airplane is noisey and the superior noise canceling is a welcome change from previous ANRs ...Nothing like all the other headsets I've owned over the years. AND, the cel phone bluetooth and aux music features work perfectly.
Dagwood offline
Cessna 150/150 TD
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

I have been using the CA for 3 years now and it works well for my situation since I fly my Highlander (Rotax) and the Citation most. It DOES NOT work as well in big engine in front airplanes like the 195 but it is the most comfortable set-up I have ever owned. If you have a big motor buy the Zulu.
HighlanderLynn offline
If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

pitfield wrote:I'm using a David Clark which is great but becomes a grind after about 90 minutes...

I did the OregonAero comfort kit on my DCs. I can wear 'em for hours at a time now, with no problem. Kit included lamb-skin head band pad, temper-foam ear seals w/ cloth covers and I think there was also some extra foam to pack in behind the speakers. Total was about $100 several years ago.

http://www.oregonaero.com/p5455-2001.html

Alternatively, the Pacific Coast Avionics ANR-II headset is a rebadged LightSPEED unit (a QFR, I think). It is an LS, not a Chinese knock-off, the warranty card went to LS.)

http://www.pacific-coast-avionics.com/d ... CA-ANR-II/
http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/conte ... Sc-Headset

(Hmmm, when I got mine the PCA unit was cheaper, but since then LS has dropped their price a bunch.)

Benton 17jul09
Benton offline

I am waiting to buy the Zulus, we have had the Lightspeed 30g, and their mean time between failure is about two months, we sent them in 4 times before buying, David Clarks. The DCs don't cut down the noise as well, but haven't failed in the 7 months. A friend bought the Zulus and they are very comfortable, work as well as the 30s, but I am hesitant with Lightspeeds quality. We fly 8 hours/day 5 days a week in the summer in 206s very loud, so they need to be comfortable. I just can't support the in-ear squishies of the CA. As a friend of mine says "Hearing loss is for real".
Headoutdaplane offline
The winner is the person with the most stories when he dies, not the most gold.
www.belugaair.com

Headoutdaplane,

What exactly fails on your 30-3G's? Do they stop making sound? ANR stops working? Headband separates?
Zzz offline
Janitorial Staff
Visit the help section.
Bearhawk #1318 [49%]

mtv wrote:There are two ways to cause hearing loss:

2) loud noise imparted to the bone process (the mastoid process) just behind your ear

The latter process is largely protected by the large ear cups found on most aviation headsets and other hearing protection devices. Note that most shooters (who have any hearing left, that is) use full ear muffs rather than just ear plugs, same for construction, etc.

If you use one of these in-ear headsets in a noisy environment, you WILL incur substantial hearing loss, via the bone transmission path.

But if you're flying anything with a piston engine, I'd buy a Lightspeed Zulu headset. Less clamping pressure than DC, and excellent passive and active noise reduction. Its still a clamping device, but pretty comfortable even after hours.

MTV

Sorry about dredging up an old thread, but this is interesting to me. I use in-ear headsets because of headroom issues primarily, but I also appreciate the light weight and excellent noise attenuation (perceived at least). Are you saying that even if my in-ear headset sounds to me like it's as quiet (or quieter) than a Bose/Zulu/DC, it could still be damaging my hearing? I've never heard of this before, and am interested in any additional info on this. The EB article linked to above is very informative on the workings of the ear, but doesn't talk about conductive hearing loss being caused by excessive noise exposure specifically. I like my HALO headset, but I also want to be able to hear later on in life. :)
NoCOpilot offline

NoCOpilot wrote:
mtv wrote:There are two ways to cause hearing loss:

MTV

Sorry about dredging up an old thread, but this is interesting to me. I use in-ear headsets because of headroom issues primarily, but I also appreciate the light weight and excellent noise attenuation (perceived at least). Are you saying that even if my in-ear headset sounds to me like it's as quiet (or quieter) than a Bose/Zulu/DC, it could still be damaging my hearing? I've never heard of this before, and am interested in any additional info on this. The EB article linked to above is very informative on the workings of the ear, but doesn't talk about conductive hearing loss being caused by excessive noise exposure specifically. I like my HALO headset, but I also want to be able to hear later on in life. :)

Yes, if you fail to protect the bone process connected to your inner ear while in a noisy environment, you WILL damage your hearing, EVEN if it doesn't sound noisy with ear plugs. Talk to an audiologist, or do some poking around on the internet. Here is a link to some NIOSH information, with graphs comparing sound attenuation comparisons between ear plugs of various type and ear muffs. BIG difference in attenuation.

I have lost a LOT of hearing, and hearing aids are not fun, nor are they terribly effective.

Protect your hearing, and in-ear headsets just don't do that job well enough in a noisy environment.

MTV
mtv offline

Just to repeat another comment, you need the protection around the ear....not just in it.
I have flown with the Zulu's for 2 years now. Don't have the repair issues I had with earlier Lightspeeds. They are much more robust. When my sunglasses are on, I simply tilt them a bit and they go above the ear cushions. Had my fill of DC. Too many headaches. :(
flightlogic offline

Quality is great, very comfortable if you can tolerate the in-the-ear-canal presence. she complains of fatigue with the clamping and the weight, and she is used to her iPod earplug headphones so it was a match made in heaven. She flies only occasionally.

Taken a little out of context I know..but I couldn't help but notice the similar sounding descriptions. Only, strangely this way it sounds like the way sex used to be with my ex - wife. #-o
lownslow79 offline

lownslow79 wrote:
Quality is great, very comfortable if you can tolerate the in-the-ear-canal presence. she complains of fatigue with the clamping and the weight, and she is used to her iPod earplug headphones so it was a match made in heaven. She flies only occasionally.

Taken a little out of context I know..but I couldn't help but notice the similar sounding descriptions. Only, strangely this way it sounds like the way sex used to be with my ex - wife. #-o

=D> :lol:

How loud is the typical GA cockpit? Maybe my google skills are a bit off today (or just being lazy on a Sunday afternoon?), but I didn't find much. It would be interesting to compare cockpit noise levels for different aircraft--surely this has been thoroughly researched at some point.
NoCOpilot offline

NoCOpilot wrote:How loud is the typical GA cockpit? Maybe my google skills are a bit off today (or just being lazy on a Sunday afternoon?), but I didn't find much. It would be interesting to compare cockpit noise levels for different aircraft--surely this has been thoroughly researched at some point.

Well mine is damn loud. So much so that when I flew in a poorly rigged Arrow II the other day I remarked how "quiet" it is...

95db seems to be a broad-brush average, googling around. Mine has to be way north of 100db.

pitfield wrote:I'm using a David Clark which is great but becomes a grind after about 90 minutes if I'm also wearing sunglasses. I'm therefore thinking of purchasing the Clarity Aloft, in-ear headset, but I don't know anybody using them and would very much appreciate some frank user opinion. Thanks.

Lot of people plugging the Zulu's, I looked at them but went with the Bose, here's a link to a review as to why. http://www.mormonpilot.com/blog/archives/18
madpilot offline
The Mormon Pilot
www.mormonpilot.com

It is an LS, not a Chinese knock-off, the warranty card went to LS.)

Please read your Lightspeed Zulu info carefully. You will find "Made In China, designed in the usa"
When i aske the LS factory for to include the export docs so i could clear Canadian customs they very nicely obliged. BiG stamp on the front MADE IN CHINA. Luckily they let us go without paying the chinese import duty rate which is much higher than the U.S. rate of 0%. I love my Zulu's but a chineese knock off is not required, they come from the factory that way.
175 magnum offline

Hello, I would like to reopen this thread. I'm researching the Clarity Aloft and QT Halo to use as part of a helmet setup (specifically the Pro-Tec Bravo).
I have seen a lot of positive reviews about the Clarity , but no one has mentioned wearing additional over the ear protection (such as shooters ear muffs) in conjunction with the in-ear headset.
Does anyone with the Clarity or QT know if this will work?

What about even wearing unplugged Bose or Zulu (or other) ANR over the in-ear headset? I know many wear foam plugs under a standard headset, but with the audio on the inside, radio clarity would be much better. This would obviously be expensive, but would it also be the best hearing protection?

Do the ear tips just stick out too far?
skywaggin offline

It would definitely work - but what's the point? I am too thinking of clarity aloft - to the point of getting fitted for custom molded in-ear inserts at Oshkosh this year. I still haven't ordered - mostly because I'm not looking forward to spending $800 for the CA setup with custom molds. I need new ski boots.
soyAnarchisto offline
FindMeSpot URL: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... Wd0Trffc0F

You'll find the ski boots very uncomfortable with any headset.
Magnet offline
Magnet

DISPLAY OPTIONS

Next
24 postsPage 1 of 21, 2