Backcountry Pilot • bulk fuel storage

bulk fuel storage

Nothing happens without it. Discuss fuel locations, quality, alternatives, and anything else related to this critical resource.
5 postsPage 1 of 1

bulk fuel storage

Somehow I am on the mailing list of a petroleum equipment supplier (www.jmesales.com). Check out the vertical storage tanks, made of a material referred to as "Dura-Life", but not specified. I'm guessing it's some type of fuel safe plastic, the catalog doesn't say.

Small diameter but tall and stable, with a see through type sight gauge, molded in tie downs, vented fill lid, and of course an outlet fitting. 500 gallons for $551.00, seems like a pretty good deal for a brand new tank in a here to fore hard to find type size, meaning tall and skinny. I have a 300 gallon steel fuel oil tank, one of those oval types, I got it free (less then a 2 years old, the home owner switched to propane, and I did the crane work to set the new 1000 gallon propane tank, and offered to haul off the "old" tank for free), but one of these vertical tanks (secured of course) would have fit my hangar ramp better, as the scratches on my wingtip will attest!

The thing I really like about bulk fuel purchases/storage, is you only get pissed once, when you pay for it, then for hopefully a fairly long time afterwards, it's "free" fuel. :D Not to mention it makes the record keeping easier if you burn mgas, and file for the road tax refund at the end of the year.
courierguy offline
"Its easier to apologize then ask permission"
Tex McClatchy

Re: bulk fuel storage

Are you storing Non ethanol or ethanol gas. If ethanol how are you stabilizing the gas to keep it from going bad?
Foxflyer offline
There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity

We can still get straight good old gasoline in Idaho. I get it delivered, 300 gallons at a time, and I'll burn it before it goes bad. I don't mind ethanol fuel in a pinch, on a cross country in my Rotax powered bird with plastic fuel tanks, but I'd probably have to rethink if storing large quanities for long periods of time. #-o All the farmers around me get fuel of all types delivered all the time, so no big deal here.
courierguy offline
"Its easier to apologize then ask permission"
Tex McClatchy

That's kinda what I figured. Up until last Oct I could get non ethanol about 200gal a shot, but now I'm forced to use jerry cans and now I get 25 gal at a time.
Foxflyer offline
There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity

If ethanol how are you stabilizing the gas to keep it from going bad?

Just curious, what goes bad about the ethanol blended fuel vs. the straight unleaded. Whiskey and beer(ethanol) have a pretty long shelf life. I can still remember the first farm tractor I got to drive back in the 1960's---it was a 1937 "B" John Deere that used leaded car gas. It had a little auxiliary gas tank to get you home when the main tank ran dry-----we evidently didn't empty it enough because I still remember the smell when we removed the cap. I was told it had turned to shellac. If going bad means it picked up some moisture, would it be that hard to seal the vent or put a desiccant on the vent inlet.
180Marty offline

DISPLAY OPTIONS

5 postsPage 1 of 1